Friday 2 August 2013

Sleeper on a course

I thought I'd start writing a new series of blogs about funny times Richard and I have experienced over our several years in business as trainers, accountants and a few other things, too...

The first in the series is from Richard and harks back to the time when we ran a training business together!

We've all had a sleeper on a course... well, it's inevitable when you've been doing it for a while.

I first experienced it when I worked for an army regiment, helping the officers with decision making.  I'd done my bit before lunch, which was very good (the lunch, I mean) and was served in the Officer's Mess.

In the afternoon we all filed into the lecture theatre where a distinguished looking old boy in full military fig proceeded to be very pedantic about decisions.

I was sitting next to two officers called Rupert and Tarquin.  Rupert looks over to Tarquin, folds his arms and says, 'My God this is boring; I'm going to sleep...'  which he did.

The officer who was lecturing noticed this and said to Tarquin: 'I say, my good man, the fellow next to you has gone to sleep.  Would you wake him up for me?'

To which Tarquin replies, quick as a flash: 'You put him to sleep, you wake him up!'

Brilliant!

I thought to myself Richard, lad, you need to salt that one away for future use.

About 10 years later Renee and I were running a course together.  It was a big group and Renee was presenting after lunch.  One guy was particularly, errr, rotund and had had a large lunch.  And a glass of Chianti - he was there with his son who was the one actually on the course.

Anyway, the guy drops off to sleep and I was sitting next to him.

I couldn't believe my luck when Renee said: 'The guy next to you, Richard, has fallen asleep you couldn't just wake him up could you?'

Well, I think you can see where this is going.  Without thinking I said, in front of the group: 'You put him to sleep, you wake him up!'

Pandemonium!

Anyway, as it turned out my ill judged comment turned out to be a spare room offence.  Never mind; it was very funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment